Installing the Android Development Tools
You need the following third-party development tools for Android development using Appmethod:
- Android SDK
- Android NDK
To develop Android applications using Appmethod, you must have the Android development tools installed on your development system and have an Android SDK in the Appmethod SDK Manager.
You Need to Install Part of the Android SDK Yourself
The installer for Appmethod installs the current recommended and tested versions of the Android development tools during the Appmethod installation by default, and adds an Android SDK to the Appmethod SDK Manager.
The following section, #Separate Install Required for Several Elements of the Android SDK, describes the steps for installing the additional required elements of the Android SDK that are not installed by the Appmethod installer.
The Android development tools ("Android SDKs"), as installed, are accessible using Start | All Programs | Embarcadero Appmethod 1.17 | Android SDKs, as shown here:
Here are the default installed locations of the Android development tools as installed by the Appmethod installer:
- Java Development Kit (JDK):
- Android Software Development Kit (SDK):
- Android SDK 5.1.1 (API 22)
- Android Native Development Kit (NDK):
- Android NDK (android-ndk-r9c)
Separate Install Required for Several Elements of the Android SDK
The first time you attempt to compile an Android application, Appmethod prompts you to install the missing components of the Android SDK, Android NDK and Android development tools if some required components have not been installed during Appmethod installation.
To install the required components of the Android SDK, you should only accept a standard license agreement.
Note: As a rule, Appmethod prompts you to install only the Android development tools.
Here are the required components of the Android SDK that are installed:
- platform-tools (version 22)
- build-tools (version 22.0.1)
- platforms (version android-22)
Installing the Android Development Tools Without the Appmethod Installer
The installer for Appmethod gives you the option to not install the Android development tools. If you opt out in the installer, do the following to install the Android development tools on your development system:
- The first time you attempt to compile an Android application, Appmethod will fetch and set up all required packages (Android SDK, Android NDK, and Android development tools).
- Install the Android development tools manually and add an Android SDK to Appmethod that points to them.
- If you have a previously-installed Android SDK and NDK and you want to use them, add an Android SDK to Appmethod that points to them.
- Note: You need to use the recommended versions of the Android development tools. Appmethod might not support changes that alternative versions introduce.