Go Up to What's New
These notes provide important information about installing the product, and Embarcadero recommends that you read this entire document before any uninstall or install procedure. You can find the most recent version of these notes at Installation Notes.
This document uses the term "the product" or "your product" to describe Object Pascal 1.17, Appmethod C++ 1.17, or Appmethod 1.17.
For additional information about installing the product, see the Release Notes (
appmethod_readme_xx.htm) for you chosen language, available at the following locations:
- The installation directory. The default location is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\17.0
- Release Notes
- 1 Minimum System Requirements for 1.17
- 1.1 Windows Platforms
- 1.2 Prerequisites
- 1.3 System Requirements
- 1.4 Requirements for Cross-Platform (Multi-Device) Application Development
- 1.5 FireMonkey Requirements
- 2 General Installation Notes
- 2.1 Installer Requires Additional Temporary Space
- 2.2 Additional Software that You Can Download from appmethod.com
- 2.3 Installing the Platform Assistant for OS X and iOS Applications
- 2.4 Android Development Tools Installed During Product Installation
- 2.5 FireMonkey Platform Requirements
- 2.6 Windows Platforms Require Administrator Privileges
- 2.7 Do Not Use Multi-byte Characters in Installation Paths
- 2.8 Offline and Online Help
- 3 Installing Object Pascal 1.17, Appmethod C++ 1.17, or Appmethod 1.17
- 4 Installing for Network Licenses (Media Kit or Download)
- 5 Installing a Trial Edition
- 6 Upgrading to Appmethod 1.17 From Appmethod XE8 With an Active Update Subscription
- 7 Known Installation Issues
- 8 Uninstalling the Product
- 9 If You Have an Installation Problem
- 10 See Also
Minimum System Requirements for 1.17
The following Windows platforms are supported as development platforms:
- Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft® Windows 8 and 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- The latest service packs and security updates are recommended for all platforms
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later
The product requires a number of prerequisites that are typically installed automatically on your system during the installation process if they are not already present. However when installing on a Windows platform, there are certain versions of the .NET Framework which do not come installed by default with the operating system, and you will have to install them.
Check whether your system includes the following prerequisites:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- Microsoft Visual J# version 2.0 Redistributable Package (32-bit)
- The modeling functionality in Appmethod requires the Java Run-time Environment (JRE). You can download the JRE from www.java.com.
Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on the Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 Platform
If you are installing on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, the .NET Framework 3.5 is not included with your operating system by default. Therefore, before starting the Appmethod installation, you should perform the following steps to install the .NET Framework 3.5:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Choose Turn Windows features on or off.
- Select Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (or 3.5.n).
If your machine is not connected to the Internet, Microsoft provides the following instructions on how to install .NET Framework 3.5 from an ISO image: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx.
Alternatively, you can also choose to install the .NET Framework 3.5 from MS Windows Update Server.
- For several different ways to install the .NET framework on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, see:
- This Web page also describes the offline way to acquire .NET, using your installation media (ISO or DVD) with the DISM utility.
Note: On Windows 7, the .NET Framework 3.5 is included by default on the installation of this operating system. If you uninstalled it, you can follow the instructions provided by Microsoft to re-install:
Installing the .NET Framework 4.5 on the Windows 7 Platform
On Windows 7, the .NET Framework 4.5 is not included in the operating system by default. Therefore, before starting the Appmethod installation, you should install the .NET Framework 4.5 by following one of the possible ways provided by Microsoft:
Note: On Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, the .NET Framework 4.5 is included by default in the installation of these operating systems. If you uninstalled it, you can follow the instructions provided by Microsoft to re-install:
Installing Windows 10 SDK (Appmethod C++ 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows)
The installation wizard of Appmethod 1.17 allows you to install the Microsoft Windows 10 SDK, which adds headers that are required for Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 in order to support Bluetooth LE in Appmethod C++.
- Intel Pentium processor or compatible, 1.6GHz minimum (2GHz+ recommended)
- Mouse or other pointing device
- DVD-ROM drive (if installing from a Media Kit DVD)
- 1024x768 or higher resolution monitor
- Basic GPU:
- Any vendor DirectX 11.0 class or better
- For 3D graphics, Direct3D 11.1 or better (Pixel Shader Level 5) is preferred, but the installed version of Direct3D will be used
- You can download Direct3D from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh404562(v=vs.85).aspx
(files Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu or Windows6.1-KB2670838-x86.msu)
- Additional memory requirements for 3D: System must allow resources greater than 4GB in size, while keeping indices of all resources at 32-bit
- You can download Direct3D from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh404562(v=vs.85).aspx
- Color quality above 256 colors (32-bit or 16-bit is sufficient)
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB+ recommended)
- Note The IDE is allowed to use up to 3GB on 32-bit Windows and up to 4GB on 64-bit Windows.
- Appmethod requires 15 GB of free disk space.
The installation additionally requires 15 GB of temporary space that the installer removes after the installation finishes.
- Host operating system:
- Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 8 or 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- You can use a virtual machine (VM) such as VMware Fusion or Parallels, hosting the supported Windows Platform, to run Appmethod on OS X.
- Windows Server 2008 and 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit) are supported only for deployment of apps.
You must download and install the Adobe Flash Player to play the tutorial videos.
Requirements for Cross-Platform (Multi-Device) Application Development
Specific requirements vary according to the target platform.
Requirements for Developing 64-bit Windows Applications
- Either a PC running a 64-bit version of Windows or a 32-bit PC connected to a PC running a 64-bit version of Windows
- If the host is a Win32 machine, Platform Assistant server (paserver) must be installed on the remote platform:
Requirements for Developing OS X Applications
- The development platform can be either:
- A PC running Windows connected over a local area network (using an SSH, VNC or Windows file-sharing solution) to an Intel-based Mac with 2+ GB RAM
- A Mac running Windows in a VM, with 2+ GB RAM
- The Mac should be running either:
- OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
- OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
- OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
- Platform Assistant server (paserver) installed on the Mac:
- The PAServer folder is located inside the product installation folder.
- Installation instructions are available here:
Requirements for Developing iOS Applications
- PC running Windows connected to an Intel-based Mac, or a Mac running Windows in a VM, with 2+ GB RAM.
- The Mac must run either:
- OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
- OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
- OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
- Xcode 6 or Xcode 7 must be installed.
- An Apple Developer account is required to deploy iOS apps to physical devices.
- Platform Assistant server (paserver) must be installed on the Mac:
Requirements for Developing Android Applications
- PC running Windows connected to a supported Android device (that is, running on an ARMv7 processor with NEON support).
- Specific supported Android versions and devices are listed in Android Devices Supported for Application Development.
FireMonkey applications run on multiple platforms with these requirements:
- 2 GB RAM or more
- Basic Graphics Processing Unit (GPU):
- For Windows development, any vendor DirectX 11.0 class preferred (Pixel Shader Level 5 preferred)
- For OSX development, OpenGL
- Note: Qualified Macs all have a qualified GPU.
For more information, see FireMonkey Platform Prerequisites.
General Installation Notes
Installer Requires Additional Temporary Space
If the drive containing the folder specified in your
TEMP environment variable is low on space, the installer might halt with an error message noting the shortage. If this occurs, assign your
TEMP variable to a folder on a drive with more disk space, then re-run the installation.
It is also possible to change the path of the installer cache directory by using the command line
OVERRIDECACHE=<new-path-to-cache>. However this is completed at the user's own risk, Embarcadero cannot be responsible for any issues raised as a result of using this command.
For more information, see System Requirements.
Additional Software that You Can Download from appmethod.com
Registered Appmethod users can download the following additional software:
- Boost (for C++)
- Framework Source Files (Object Pascal
.passource files for the FMX and RTL units)
To download this software, visit http://www.appmethod.com/downloads and sign in using your Embarcadero Developer Network ID.
Installing the Platform Assistant for OS X and iOS Applications
In order to use the IDE to develop multi-device applications for OS X and iOS, you need to install and run the Platform Assistant on your Mac. The default location for the Platform Assistant is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\17.0\PAServer. The Platform Assistant installer also provides the Remote Debugger.
For more information, see:
- PAServer, the Platform Assistant Server Application
- Installing the Platform Assistant on a Mac
- Installing the Platform Assistant on Windows
- Installing the PAServer Manager on a Mac
Android Development Tools Installed During Product Installation
Android SDK and NDK: The Appmethod installer installs the Android SDK and NDK by default for you. If you want to develop Android apps, we recommend that you accept the installation of these tools by default.
Android 5.1.1. Support
If you choose not to install Android NDK during the Appmethod installation and you have problems with debugging an Android application on the device with Android 5.1.1, try the following:
- Go to Tools > Options > Environment Options > SDK Manager > Android SDK > NDK tab > gdbserver location
- Take note of the path in
- Download and install the new Android NDK: android-ndk-r10e (use this link).
- Rename the current
gdbserverfile (from step 2) to
- Copy the newly installed
<android-ndk-r10e>\prebuilt\android-arm\gdbserver\gdbserverto the location from step 2.
Separate Install Required for Several Elements of the Android SDK
Several required elements of the Android SDK are not installed during Appmethod installation.
When you first attempt to build an application for Android, Appmethod prompts you to install the required elements of the Android SDK.
You must accept a standard license agreement, and then the required elements are installed.
The required elements of the Android SDK include:
Java and the JDK: The Appmethod installer installs Java and the JDK by default if you do not already have Java 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 installed.
For more information, see Installing the Android Development Tools.
FireMonkey Platform Requirements
Applications developed using FireMonkey have specific platform requirements, such as for the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). For details, see FireMonkey Platform Prerequisites.
Windows Platforms Require Administrator Privileges
You must run as Administrator or be on the Administrator privileges list to install the product on Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.
Do Not Use Multi-byte Characters in Installation Paths
Do not use double-byte characters in the path or directory for installation. Appmethod is Unicode-enabled, but the installer has not been enabled for Unicode.
Offline and Online Help
The offline help is delivered as HTML help (.CHM files). Because the Appmethod help is large, there are multiple CHM files. To open the help, choose Help > Appmethod Help.
The offline help is generated from the online help. We update the online help continuously, so please refer to the online help for more recent information. On the compiled CHM help, just click the Current Wiki Page link at the bottom of a page of help to open the online version.
Installing Object Pascal 1.17, Appmethod C++ 1.17, or Appmethod 1.17
After you have obtained the product, you will receive a
Setup.exe file for Appmethod 1.17, regardless of whether you are going to install a trial or any other type of software licensing solution.
You also receive a confirmation email where you may find your license and a link to the
To install Appmethod:
If the intended machine for installation is not connected to the internet you can do the following:
- Download the ISO installer which does not require any additional download: https://downloads.embarcadero.com/Item/30352
- Double click the
install_RADStudio.exeto begin the product installation.
- Choose "I already have a product serial number".
- Make a note of the registration code shown.
- On an internet connected machine, open the URL: http://reg.embarcadero.com
- Follow the instructions to obtain the registration file.
- Launch again the installer and this time select "I have a valid license file (*.slip or reg*.txt) to import" and import the file you have received.
- Double-click the
.exefile to begin the product installation.
- Agree to the license terms.
- When prompted, enter the serial number for the product. You can find the serial number in the order confirmation email.
- The installer downloads the required
.zipfiles, decompresses the files, then the installation starts.
If you have any issues with the installation of your product, please contact Product Support at http://www.embarcadero.com/support.
Installing for Network Licenses (Media Kit or Download)
If you purchased a Network License (managed by the Embarcadero License Center, FLEXnet or AppWave), follow these instructions to set up the installation image either from a Media Kit or a download.
- Note: Follow these instructions precisely or your users will be prompted for a serial number and will be unable to install.
If you have a media kit or a download installation:
- Copy the network license (
concurrent*.slipfile) received from the License server administrator to your computer or a shared network drive.
- Start the installation and when prompted to input license, choose "I have a valid license file (*.slip or reg*.txt) to import".
- Use the License Manager to import the license file that is located on your machine or on a shared network drive.
- The installer proceeds automatically. Follow the prompts.
For additional general information about retrieving Embarcadero network licenses, see these pages:
Installing a Trial Edition
If you are going to use the trial edition, you can find the Appmethod trial download at:
To request the Appmethod trial, you can use your private email or your existing Facebook or Google+ account.
To register your Appmethod trial, you do not need to acquire an EDN account.
Upgrading to Appmethod 1.17 From Appmethod XE8 With an Active Update Subscription
- If you have Appmethod XE8 installed on your machine with an active Update Subscription Plan:
- The installation wizard automatically detects your license and the installation starts without asking for license information.
- If you do not have Appmethod XE8 installed on the same machine:
- Select the option "I already have a product serial number".
- Enter your XE8 serial number and register it. This already includes the Appmethod 1.17 license. Afterwards the installation starts.
Known Installation Issues
JSharp Install Error on 64-bit Windows Server 2008
On a 64-bit Windows 2008 Server\R2, the installation might fail if it searches for a 32-bit version of JSharp located at:
The workaround is to run the following command on a
mklink C:\Users\%USERNAME%\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET /D
.NET Framework 3.5 Installation Errors 0x800F0906, 0x800F081F and 0x800F0907
If you encounter any of the following .NET Framework 3.5 installation errors: 0x800F0906, 0x800F081F or 0x800F0907, see Microsoft Support - .NET Framework 3.5 installation error: 0x800F0906, 0x800F081F, 0x800F0907 for information on how to resolve them.
Uninstalling the Product
The user with Administrator privileges who initially installed the product can uninstall the product:
- Open the Windows Control Panel.
- Select Add or Remove Programs or Uninstall a program.
- Select the product name.
- Click Remove.
Uninstalling Instances that Use Network Licenses
After uninstalling, each user who is not the Administrator must remove user-specific data from the Windows registry:
- Log in to the user account.
- Make a backup of the registry.
- Launch Regedit or another registry editing tool.
- Delete the following registry key:
- Warning: Edit the Registry at your own risk. Embarcadero recommends that you use the Microsoft Regedit tool to edit the registry. Before you make any changes, you should make backups of your registry and thoroughly familiarize yourself with the chosen tool and the registry editing process. The registry is a critical component of your operating system, and any mistakes you make while editing it can potentially cause your machine to stop functioning. Therefore Embarcadero cannot be held responsible for any issues raised as a result of changing the registry.
Removing Configuration Files
After uninstalling, user-specific data such as default project settings might remain in configuration files. You should manually remove these folders:
All Users\Application Data\Embarcadero\Appmethod\17.0
All Users\Shared Documents\Embarcadero\Appmethod\17.0
If You Have an Installation Problem
Please open a support case on the http://support.embarcadero.com web site if you encounter any problems during installation.