Go Up to Unary Operators Index
- + cast-expression
- - cast-expression
- add-expression + multiplicative-expression
- add-expression - multiplicative-expression
- multiplicative-expression * cast-expression
- multiplicative-expression / cast-expression
- multiplicative-expression % cast-expression
- postfix-expression ++ (postincrement)
- ++ unary-expression (preincrement)
- postfix-expression -- (postdecrement)
- -- unary-expression (predecrement)
Use the arithmetic operators to perform mathematical computations.
The unary expressions of + and - assign a positive or negative value to the cast-expression.
+ (addition), - (subtraction), * (multiplication), and / (division) perform their basic algebraic arithmetic on all data types, integer and floating point.
% (modulus operator) returns the remainder of integer division and cannot be used with floating points.
++ (increment) adds one to the value of the expression. Postincrement adds one to the value of the expression after it evaluates; while preincrement adds one before it evaluates.
-- (decrement) subtracts one from the value of the expression. Postdecrement subtracts one from the value of the expression after it evaluates; while predecrement subtracts one before it evaluates.