Go Up to Developing Database Applications
- 1 Overview
- 2 Developing InterBase ToGo Applications on Windows Platforms
- 3 Developing InterBase ToGo Applications for the Mac OS X Platform
- 4 Developing InterBase ToGo Applications for Mobile Devices
- 5 Apply InterBase ToGo Updates
- 6 See Also
InterBase ToGo is a database engine that can be embedded in an application directly by using the InterBase database engine library. InterBase ToGo does not have to be installed on any server or end-user workstation, and does not require that InterBase be installed on a machine before it is used (as InterBase Server and InterBase Desktop do).
InterBase ToGo has two licensing options for deployment: ToGo and IBLite. Developers targeting database application deployment to iOS can deploy either with a "ToGo" license (for cost), or "IBLite" license (no cost). ToGo and IBLite have the same development model; both are embedded applications using the InterBase ToGo library.
- For a closer look at the new InterBase ToGo, please see InterBase ToGo Quick Start guide.
- For a comparison between IBLite, ToGo and InterBase Server Edition, see: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/InterBase/XE3/en/Comparing_IBLite,_ToGo,_and_InterBase_Server_Edition
Developing InterBase ToGo Applications on Windows Platforms
The InterBase ToGo edition is available on the following Windows platforms and can access any InterBase database created by InterBase desktop or server editions, versions 2007 and later.
System Requirements for Windows
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows 8
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows XP (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 2008
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows 2000 (SP4)
For a description of the basic steps to browse data managed by InterBase ToGo on your mobile device using the FireDAC framework, see Mobile Tutorial: Using InterBase ToGo with dbExpress (iOS and Android).
Developing InterBase ToGo Applications for the Mac OS X Platform
System Requirements for Mac
- Apple Mac OS X
For more information on how to develop InterBase ToGo applications for Mac OS X, see the InterBase ToGo Quick Start guide
Developing InterBase ToGo Applications for Mobile Devices
System Requirements for iOS
Supported iOS devices:
- iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad
- iOS 6 and later
For Mac OS X and iOS application development, you need to have installed on the Mac:
- Xcode 4.5 for iOS 6
- Xcode 4.6 for iOS 6.1
System Requirements for Android
- Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Fire HD 7 running Jelly Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x)
- Samsung Galaxy S2, Sony Xperia U, Motorola Droid 3, HTC Thunderbolt running Gingerbread (2.3.3 - 2.3.7)
- Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD, LG Optimus L5 running Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3 and 4.0.4)
- Honeycomb and Gingerbread emulator are not supported
For a description of the basic steps to browse data managed by InterBase ToGo on your mobile device through the FireDAC framework, see Mobile Tutorial: Using InterBase ToGo with dbExpress (iOS and Android).
Apply InterBase ToGo Updates
InterBase ToGo files used by Appmethod are contained in the following folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3.
To download InterBase ToGo updates, go to the InterBase Registered User Downloads page and download the InterBase XE3 Update 4 (220.127.116.110) ToGo Edition, Win/OSX/iOS/An.
The InterBase XE3 ToGo Update is a collection of zip files of these directories (and more):
To apply the InterBase ToGo Updates, follow the steps below:
- Extract the win32_min.zip or win64_min.zip contents to your C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3 directory.
- For the iOS platform, extract the ios_device.zip and ios_sim.zip contents to the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3 folder.
- For the Android platform, extract the android_togo.zip contents to the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3 folder.
- For the Mac OS X platform, extract the osx32_min.zip contents to the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3 directory.
- Extract libibtogo.a from ios_device.zip to both the lib\iosDevice\debug and the lib\iosDevice\release folders within your Appmethod install.
- Note: For iOS, libibtogo.a is a static library and does not apply to Appmethod/Object Pascal/Appmethod C++ XE3, as it does not include mobile development.
- Extract libibtogo.a from android_togo.zip to both the lib\android\debug and the lib\android\release folders within your Appmethod install.
- Note: For Android, libibtogo.a is a static library and does not apply to Appmethod/Object Pascal/Appmethod C++ XE4/XE3.