Developing DataSnap Applications
Go Up to Key Application Types
The DataSnap technology continues to evolve, as the demands for distributed computing increase. The technology behind DataSnap has moved beyond the approach of remoting data through the Microsoft COM/DCOM to a more open communication approach based on RESTful services. This evolution has allowed the DataSnap technology to expand its capabilities in order to include a complete middleware technology. One of the key features of the technology is that it is fast: fast to build, fast to deploy, and fast to execute in production.
DataSnap now has expanded capabilities, allowing the technology to work within almost any standards-based infrastructure. While the latest DataSnap is still backwards-compatible with the COM/DCOM approach, it now has the ability to communicate natively through HTTP or HTTPS.
There are no additional charges to USE or DEPLOY the DataSnap technology.
High-Level Overview of DataSnap
DataSnap Proxy Code Example
The Object Pascal code example DSProxyGenerator_(Object Pascal) demonstrates how to generate a DataSnap client proxy at run time.
DataSnap Sample Applications Available in Your Product Installation
You can find DataSnap sample applications (that are installed with Appmethod) by choosing Start | Programs | Appmethod 1.14 | Samples. The folders of interest are
\Object Pascal\DataSnap\, containing DataSnap multiplatform demos. These DataSnap samples are called, by their folder name:
- DataSnap\Authorization -- Role Authorization Sample
- DataSnap\Basic -- Basic DataSnap Client and Server Samples
- DataSnap\ChatRoomDemo -- Chat Room Sample
- DataSnap\Failover -- DataSnap HTTP Tunneling Sample
- DataSnap\JSONViewer -- JSON Viewer Sample
- DataSnap\ProxyGenerator -- Proxy Generator Sample
- DataSnap\SessionStoreObject -- Session Store Object Sample
- DataSnap\ShowSessionData -- Show Session Data Sample
- DataSnap\EchoToChannel -- Echo to Channel Sample
Also there are the Readme.htm files (in the DataSnap subfolders) that provide useful information about using the DataSnap multiplatform demos.
The source for the DataSnap samples in your product installation is checked into a public Subversion repository that can be found on SourceForge:
To check out a copy of the Subversion repository containing the DataSnap sample applications, go to this Subversion checkout link. Furthermore, you can commit changes to the samples and also update your local copies to acquire the latest changes made to the samples on SourceForge.
The following videos provide more information regarding the DataSnap technology:
- DataSnap Overview and Architecture
- Using a DataSnap Server with an Application (Tutorial)
- DataSnap Client Application
- Authentication and Authorization
- Server Side Session Management
- Cloud Computing with DataSnap
- Deployment Manager
Other Database Products Supported by Appmethod
- Tutorial: Using a REST DataSnap Server with an Application
- Tutorial: Using LiveBinding to Create an Application Without Code